Causes of tooth decay
The main cause of tooth decay is the presence of plaque.
Despite regular toothbrushing, some dietary habits can promote the presence of plaque:
- Sweet drinks: the sugar present in beverages like soft drinks and even milk (lactose) stays in the mouth longer;
- Snacking between meals: despite an effective toothbrushing immediately after meals, it may not be sufficient if some food is ingested between meals;
- Acidic food: some fruits like oranges have a high level of acidity.
Most recommended ways to prevent tooth decay and maintain good oral health:
- Toothbrushing two to three times a day;
- Use of dental floss;
- A dental examination and cleaning one to two times a year at the dentist.